Building the GCU Sokol Model, Part 6

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 |Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10

Part 11 | Part 12

I’ve been in modeling hiatus during the summer months as my garage is not air conditioned. But now with Fall here and the temps lower, I can venture back into my garage and start up the model factory. I left off work on the Sokol last Spring with completing the first major superstructure and finding parts for the engine nozzles.

These pics were taken in low-light conditions as I was shutting down for the night. I’ll try and update them at a later time. I’m probably going to focus on getting the back side of the model built up first, so I can use it in some pictures that will be used on the back cover of the Starveyors book.

So I’ll be building up the superstructure and then only detailing the back side of it. Ignoring for now the head and all other surfaces. That’s kinda unusual, but only the rear of the model will be used for these pictures. I’ll also be building some extremely small scale versions of other Alliance starships and once again, only detailing the back sides.

When I get some of the smaller starships built up I’ll record their construction in this same, rather long series of posts.

In the above photo you can get a sense of the scale, as it actually fits on my desk. The model is about two feet long.

Building the SS Truxtun Part 2

Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4Part 5Part 6

(This model started out as the SS Sokol and has been recast as the Destroyer – SS Truxtun.)

Rapid progress on the model this weekend necessitated that I do up a quick Part 2. Once you get going with the super structure of a model like this it comes to together pretty quickly. I used the main struts coming out of the body to anchor the engine and head of the ship. For the moment, you can slid each off and on with little effort. This makes for easy access to the middle area where I need to build up some details.

IMG_20110222_063605

In this view, you can compare the shape to the drawing. I know, it’s reversed, but I didn’t think of that when I was snapping the pics. As I get more details constructed, I will do this shot again.

IMG_20110222_063753

This is the view from starboard port. The head is taking shape and you can see the smaller bracing at an angle on the grid work that attached the head to the body. I’m using nothing but plastic or styrene from all the construction on this project. So far I’m not having any difficulty and it’s actually been quite fun.

IMG_20110222_063538

This is port astern angle showing the two main engines. I used plastic parts from various extra medicine droppers we had in our junk drawer for the funnels.

IMG_20110222_063510

The next step is to start building up the various structures like the bridge and the starfighter bay on the top of the main body.