Triak Starfighter Build, Part 4

Painting 

I wanted to show off how the model looked in the pristine, gray primer stage to see how it might have looked on the factory floor. I have decided to let the gray primer be the undercoat or base coat of the starfighter, the same as the Terrox fighter.

20151230_155308

These moody images were taken in my living room with overcast winter skies outside. 

20151230_155324

Nothing much to say here other than what I used for a primer. It was fill primer from a spray can. The same stuff you use on cars. Stinks to high heaven and I have to wear a mask when using it, but it gives a good even layer of paint.

20151230_155342

I’ll have to go in and repaint the gray blue areas in the back again. But that’s all part of the modeling adventure.

20151230_155450

The engines are similar to the Terrox fighter, but not as powerful or as long. This is a smaller, more maneuverable fighter with bigger blasters. Probably more of an attack fighter. Kind of like a space version of the A-10.

20151230_155527

I decided to add some color to this model. Going with Votainion red swishes on the sides and a black swish over the canopy area and up the top of the model. I may add some more black or darker gray pieces to show a slow, visual transformation from gray fighters to black in the K’nat fighter.

20160101_095636

The other reason of course is historical precedence on fighters. Blacked out canopy areas are common to cut down on sun glare.

20160101_095628

Coming at you with new livery. The canopy appears a bit rough in part due to my failed experiment with liquid mask. I didn’t get it on thick enough and it didn’t come off clean. So my glass is really scratched up as a result. Just going to have to weather the rest of the model to match. There is a gap on the right gun barrel, I’ll need to fill and sand that before going much further.

20160101_095641

I used red Testor’s spray paint for the nose and simply masked with blue paper tape. I decided to follow the line of the back piece of glass instead of the main canopy. This resulted in a notch of black, but I like it because it adds interest.

20160101_095710

Another mistake happened when I was spraying the red color. Some over spray happened on the blasters. So I painted them another shade of gray. Again, what was a mistake, ends up just adding interest to the final model. So, no big deal.

Next up, final painting and weathering.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Google Buzz
  • Identi.ca
  • RSS
  • Technorati

Related Posts

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: