Spieron Starfighter Build, Part 1

This is the primary starfighter during the Starstrikers Trilogy or middle time period of my Star Saga series. It was first sketched on paper by myself probably twenty years ago. I built a cardboard model of it about a decade ago and was not completely satisfied with it, so now is the time to do it in styrene and up the scale to 1/32.

IMG_20150822_111641789_HDR

Scaling up the 1/48 card board model using PVC for the engine and a fabric stain remover cap for the engine exhaust. The seat is from the Renoke model and is just to help suss out the scale. I make a paper model blueprint to start with and then use it as a pattern to cut the more expensive styrene.

IMG_20150822_130518700

Above we see the paper model with a four sides to the fuselage. The gun will be a push-pump soap dispenser.

IMG_20150905_212224987_HDR

The engines get LED lights. I used a car wheel and a tank wheel to mount the LEDs inside the bottle cap funnels and PVC engine tube.

IMG_20150905_202011734

Above you can see the parts before gluing them together.

IMG_20150907_130118277_HDR

Next I started with the bottom of the fuselage to anchor the mount. I still had a tapped block of aluminum with two mount points on it so I didn’t have to do that part again.

IMG_20150907_135225206

The bracing for the mount is basically a bunch of plastic.

IMG_20150908_084557821_HDR

The fuselage sides when up pretty fast. The area behind the pilot is raised a bit and so is braces accordingly.

IMG_20150908_100215101_HDR

The top area is cut out, but not glued in place yet. I have to cut out the cockpit area and detail and light it before I close it up. The battery and circuit board will go in the area between and above the engines.

IMG_20150920_121915079

The nose cone for lack of a better name, was walled off at the last minute and the cone inside the tube was left inside. Not so smart. I know the nose is flat, but the original design is that way and I figured that a space fighter didn’t need a pointy nose.

IMG_20150920_160557495_HDR

Detailing inside the nose before attaching it to the main body.

IMG_20150920_184049828

Also took the time to detail the nose extension piece. This is probably an area that has had the covers removed on a regular basis, so I’m making it look like you could have it covered if needed.

IMG_20150920_184143719_HDR

You can still see the cone coming through the cylinder. Ugh. Good thing that will be covered.

IMG_20150920_222559968

My stand in 1/32 scale pilot as the cockpit comes together. Actually using the base from a resin seat behind him.

IMG_20150923_204848894

Some cockpit details coming along, including the metal Imperial Walker model that a friend donated.

IMG_20150923_204903541

The canopy frame is coming together next.

IMG_20150924_211142436

Starting to look like a Y-wing or a Snow Speeder now.

IMG_20150924_214616673

Here’s everything sitting together on the bench. She’s big!

IMG_20150927_094306251

The Martin Baker ejection seat is from an F-4 Phantom resin mold. Very detailed.

IMG_20150927_122621258_HDR

This is looking pretty cool about now. Next up: lights!

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Google Buzz
  • Identi.ca
  • RSS
  • Technorati

Related Posts

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: